[lug] Windows XP End-of-Life: April 8, 2014

Robert Racansky robert.racansky at gmail.com
Wed May 7 11:44:02 MDT 2014

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Robert Racansky
<robert.racansky at gmail.com> wrote:

> At last night's meeting, I mentioned that I was trying to get Windows
> XP users to switch to Linux Mint, because Microsoft's support for
> Windows XP ends 4 months from now.

> What this means in the short term is that, after April 08 2014, there
> will be no more security updates.  How many zero-day exploits will be
> used after that is unknown, but it's more than zero.   In the medium
> and long term, this also means no more feature updates, bug fixes, and
> application updates (including anti-virus updates) for Windows XP.
>
> So for those people I know who don't want to shell out $100+ (or
> whatever) for Windows 7 or Windows 8 *, I've been trying to convince
> them to switch to Linux Mint Xfce, because
>
> (1)  it's free
>
> (2)  Linux Mint comes with most applications, codecs, plug-ins, etc.,
> "out of the box" that most people will need.
>
> (3)  Xfce is "lightweight", so should run on the older hardware that
> many people are currently using to run a 12 year old operating system
>
> (4)  Xfce has the most "Windows" like interface, so the learning curve
> is low -- possibly less than switching to Windows 8.

> On a related note, OSNews had an article earlier this year by a
> support technician who switched his office to Linux Mint Xfce that
> worth reading in it's entirety.   Here's an excerpt:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story/27144/What_Users_Want_--_Selecting_a_System_for_i_Their_i_Needs
>
> What Users Want -- Selecting a System for Their Needs
> posted by Howard Fosdick on Mon 24th Jun 2013 03:00 UTC

I was recently contacted by a friend-of-a-friend for advice on what to
do with an old laptop, circa 2003, that she's planning to donate.  Of
course, I suggested installing Linux Mint Xfce on it, instead of
re-installing Widows XP.  She's a non-technical user, and located in
California, so this was not something I could do for her.  This was a
few weeks ago.  I sent her a follow-up e-mail earlier this week,
because I am genuinely curious if it was good advice.  Here is what
she told me: