[lug] Is there a way move the active window under my cursor?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu May 22 19:37:03 MDT 2014

> My current problem, however, is on a corporate laptop, which needs to run
> a mostly-stock, Ubuntu, LTS, desktop installation.

So you MUST use unity? Can't you use KDE, XFCE, LXDE, or awesome? Or did
Ubuntu remove them all from the repos?

I had a similar desire (which I put on hold for now), and for me (running
gnome2 aka mate) any of these would have worked:

http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/
http://tomas.styblo.name/wmctrl/
https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Projects/DevilsPie?action=show&redirect=DevilsPie
http://www.gusnan.se/devilspie2/

I settled on the last one, which seemed the easiest to use and complete
enough for my needs. I have no idea if unity would play nice with it (if I
were in my sarcasm mode I'd say "certainly not", and mention things worse
than "because it thinks your laptop is a phone", but I'll spare them for
tonight :-)
Is DevilsPie2 in ubuntu's repos? If so, it's worth checking if you have 10
minutes to spare.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
Davide