[lug] Linux for New User (Desktop OS)

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri May 23 19:41:29 MDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-05-23 at 17:02 -0600, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Ah, I would also like it to save my windows and restart them at the
> next session. IIRC XFCE has a menu with the relevant tickmark, but
> it's a no-op. This used to work on mate-LMDE, however some recent
> update partially broke it, and it now works only for mate-xxx stuff
> (e.g. mate-terminal, mate-text-editor and the likes, it does not work
> with firefox, chrome, thunderbird, not even midori or other stuff).
> Does this work for you?

The use case is applicable to my personal laptop, which runs Fedora 19
w/XFce.  I keep many terminals open along with evolution and firefox.  I
have 10 workspaces and don't minimize anything.

When I quit I close evolution manually, then shutdown from the XFce
shutdown option.  When I restart everything comes back to where it was
before (including ssh logins).  Evolution is getting ugly - it locks up
if restarted from a saved session.  I have no idea what's going on but
the best workaround is to start manually on reboot.  It still doesn't
remember the keyring so I have to retype that every time.  But this is
an evolution problem. It's not a problem, as far as I can see, with
XFce.  But then, I don't really use many apps other than these three
(terminal, firefox, evolution) on my personal laptop.

FYI, I don't use Chrome (never works the way I want it to) or
thunderbird (too invested in Evolution folders).  I occasionally use
xchat but not often on my personal laptop.

--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>