[lug] WARNING! - Ubuntu Kernel 2.6.32-61-generic Update Breaks Video

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Sat Jun 7 12:04:06 MDT 2014

On 06/07/2014 11:33 AM, Lori R wrote:
> The latest Ubuntu (in the last 24 hours) 2.6.32-61-generic update for LTS
> 10.04 (don't ask) seems to have broken video play, at least for VLC, and I
> don't care about any other vid players.

> I have never reverted to a previous kernel so if any one can point me at an
> easy to follow tutorial, I'd appreciate it. (Yes, I will Google, but any
> assistance would be appreciated)

Can't say anything about ubuntu specifically, but you might need to roll back
more than the kernel. It depends on whether glibc and/or kernel headers
were also updated. If either were updated you may have packages (e.g. alsa, file
system tools, out-of-tree device drivers) that also depend on the
newer kernel/header version.

Search for 'reverse dependency' tracking for your package manager. Use that function
to see what other packages depend on the kernel. Also the kernel headers if you have
them, it might be a package named something like linux-headers.

If glibc was updated, it is more complicated. The library ABI probably didn't
change but the code inside glibc can depend on kernel features (e.g. the existence
of certain syscalls) since building glibc uses the kernel headers. So you
would need to know what kernel headers the updated glibc was built against. If you
are lucky, it was the kernel you want to revert to or earlier. A version dependency
on the kernel by glibc might tell you that.

HTH