[lug] Staying on a specific kernel in fedora

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jun 10 17:18:51 MDT 2014

I recently upgraded my desktop to an MB with an AMD A8-5600K APU which
has a Radeon HD 7560D built into it.  I've discovered that the 3.12.5
kernel provided by F19 works fine but the later kernels (3.13,3.14) do
not.  The problem appears to be the video does a hard reset on the CPU.
If true, this probably means the radeon kernel module doesn't work right
with this APU in kernels above 3.12.

Ignoring whether this is the real problem or not, how can I guarantee I
stay on that kernel?  Right now, on reboots, I have to manually choose
the 3.12. kernel via grub.  I know I can update grub to make 3.12 the
default (not exactly sure how since I haven't done grub edits in years,
but I could figure it out).  My question is: how do I prevent fedora
updates from cycling out the 3.12 kernel on my next update?  Should I
just build my own RPM of the same kernel and install it, making it the
default?  I assume my own package would not get cycled out.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org