[lug] MTA poor reputation issue

Chip Atkinson chip at pupman.com
Sat Jun 21 09:16:21 MDT 2014

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014, Zan Lynx wrote:

> On 6/20/2014 2:31 PM, Chip Atkinson wrote:
>>  My latest problem is that when I try to email some people from it, I get
>>  errors like this:
>>
>>  (host as-av.iinet.net.au[203.0.178.180] refused to talk to me:
>>  554-icp-osb-irony-in8.iinet.net.au 554 Your access to this mail system
>>  from 167.88.120.115 has been rejected due to the sending MTA's poor
>>  reputation.
>

> You are going to have to go to each and every IP reputation service and
> convince them that you are not a spammer. This will take ages.
>
> I have been told about people that have successfully done so, however, so
> don't lose hope.

That might be the "easiest" way to go.  To answer your next message, my
whole point was to get rid of the server in my house.  It uses about $40
electricity per month and is noisy.  I am also paying for static IPs from
comcast.  My goal was to free up the space that the rack takes, cut costs,
and reduce noise.

My rPi fall back plan was to provide a minimal cost method of using a good
reputation IP address, the current comcast one, to send the email out.
Earlier I had asked about low cost servers and Bear Giles suggested the
Intel NUC.  That may end up being the way to go ultimately, though I'd
have to keep the server at home.

Chip