[lug] PCB Layout Software? Gerber RS-274X

Stephen Queen svqueen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 14:20:42 MDT 2014

A gerber file is simply a plot file for a laser plotter. Trying to reverse
the plot file to an editable file used by a pcb layout program would be
very difficult. Electrical and design rules would be impossible to check on
such a reverse plot. When a circuit designer builds a printed circuit
board, they usually start by doing the schematic, then running the
electrical checks on it. The second step is doing the layout. When the
layout is complete, then the design rules are checked (spacing, clearances,
etc). The final step is generating the gerber files. The file extensions
are fairly arbitrary, and are different from one design package to another.

Your best bet would be to try and create a schematic, then the layout could
be manually copied by looking at the gerbers, and trying to duplicate them.
I have done this using the drawings provided by demo designs from vendors
trying to sell their chip sets. There they provided a schematic that I
simply copied into my schematic capture program.

I have seen commercial gerber editors, but even they were clunky, and could
only be used for the simplest of edits. They use to require you to purchase
the complete package to get the editor though.

Good Luck.