[lug] Kernel Module Compile Config Q

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Fri Jun 27 17:33:02 MDT 2014

Hi,
.
I'm wondering about a module compile for network bridging (3.10 kernel) which results in a kernel panic. I'm thinking the panic is because of a config change dependency which might demand rebuilding the whole kernel. I want to know if this dependency and sticking to only module compiles without a new kernel compile would be the cause. Can I get away without rebuilding and installing a new kernel?
.
This is the running kernel source tree and entirely configured based on current running system (I have the config in /boot option), with proper preparation before compile (compile itself is on the native system). Then I add bridge support as a module (via make menuconfig). Intentionally building CONFIG_BRIDGE=m results in a couple of other dependencies which builds modules that insmod without error, but one non-optional dependency is CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER=Y, so I cannot insmod this. With module dependencies loaded via insmod, I then insmod bridge.ko...kernel panic.
.
The dependency which is forced as a non-module is CONFIG_BRIDGE_NETFILTER=Y, and I'm guessing this is why I won't be able to stick to a pure module build. In general, if I build something as a module, and if that module forces some other CONFIG_WHATEVER=Y, is this always asking for trouble? I'd really like to stick to not flashing the kernel image itself on this embedded system.