[lug] NoVAD: Protecting Cloud Data

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Sun Jul 13 08:19:42 MDT 2014

NoVAD stands for No Virtually Assured Destruction.  We're a group of
people from all walks of life.  We want sensible cyber safeguards to
protect cloud businesses from destruction by mistakes, criminals, and
terrorists.  We are looking for people to join the cause and to help
out.  For now, we are using a LinkedIn Group:

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/NoVAD-6718590/about

Our website is http://novad.club (on github)

You probably read about Code Spaces on slashdot.  In case you haven't,
here's their story.  An extortionist tried to get them to pay after he
got access to their master account.  When Code Spaces refused, the
extortionist started destroying cloud assets, one at a time, over a
period of 12 hours.  The extortionist was good so they couldn't lock
him out immediately.  They had to shutdown their business.  Visit
codespace.com to learn more.  I'm glad they made their situation
public, many businesses would not.

NoVAD has three recommendations for cloud providers.  Any one of these
would have allowed Code Spaces to prevent the attack from destroying
their business:

VSCRAM(tm) - Nuclear reactors have a safety control rod axe man
(SCRAM), which forces a large insertion of negative
reactivity. Clients should have the ability to call in or text a
VSCRAM code to a cloud service provider to force an immediate shutdown
and freeze all of the client’s servers and assets.

VLockdown(tm) - If Code Spaces could have locked down administrative
access, the attack would have been stopped without disrupting normal
operations. Clients should have a VLockdown code to freeze all
adminstrative access and destructive operations.

VDelete(tm) - Like the Trash can on your desktop, deleted cloud assets
should not be destroyed immediately. Even a few hours delay before
“emptying the trash” would have helped Code Spaces save their
business.

(The reason for the trademarks is to ensure that people use these
ideas correctly.  Trademarks are the equivalent of copyleft for
industry standards.)

These safeguards will also help in the event of a serious mistake by
someone working for a cloud-based company.  Many businesses rely
completely on one cloud provider.  While this is not the best
practice, it is common, and your data probably is managed by such a
company.

We need your help.  Our goal is to build an organization that promotes
better cloud data security, once an attack is already in progress.
There are plenty of people who are working on intrusion detection and
prevention.  We want to protect your data when the unthinkable
happens: access to the master account is compromised.

We need better content and a better website:

http://github.com/novadclub/novadclub.github.io

We need contacts at cloud providers and better ideas to present to
them.

By joining our LinkedIn Group, your voice will be heard:

https://www.linkedin.com/groups/NoVAD-6718590/about

Your good name will add weight to our efforts, too.

Please tell your friends and forward this notice to other groups.
Protect your data by stopping virtually assured destruction.

Thanks,
Rob