[lug] NoVAD: Protecting Cloud Data

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Mon Jul 14 07:47:27 MDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 1:33 AM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Not commenting on the NoVAD idea...

It would be great to hear your feedback.  Do you have suggestions to
prevent "meltdown" of cloud deployments from software mistakes or
intruders?

> Critical is not the word you want.  Melted down maybe.  In the US no one has
> died from a nuclear reactor accident since "safeguards and sophisticated
> technology" have been employed.

Thanks for the clarification. Nuclear reactors have SCRAM and other
physical safeguards to protect in the event of a serious problem
(ignoring technical terms).  I borrowed the term, because we have
nothing comparable to stop a serious destructive event in a cloud
deployment.

> This list is interesting
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nuclear_and_radiation_accidents_by_death_toll.
> Reactor accident deaths appear to be one-sidedly Soviet.

Fukushima was SCRAMmed, btw.

> Also, the NRC claims that scram is not an acronym.
> http://public-blog.nrc-gateway.gov/2011/05/17/putting-the-axe-to-the-scram-myth/

I removed reference to the acronym on the website.  Thanks.

Rob