[lug] Longmont Linux Users Group (LLUG) - Meeting announcement - Distro Wars! - August 6th

Matt James matuse at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:54:49 MDT 2014

The next LLUG meeting will be Wednesday August 6th, 2014 at 8PM

As a result of our first meeting, we decided that we want a server to host
our website, etc.  and that LLUG should build said server as a teachable
moment.  However, in order to build a server one must pick a distribution.
"CentOS!" says one, "NO, NO, NO! Ubuntu LTS!" says another, "AHHHH!
Debian!" and the list goes on.  So, in that spirit, this month we will be
doing some lightening presentations from members who feel they have a
strong argument for a particular distribution.  This is an opportunity to
share your love / hate for various Linux flavors.  If you're new to Linux,
this is your chance to explore all that the distros have to offer and to
get valuable input from the users who admire them most.  The format will be
5 minute presentations on your distro of choice.  Tell us everything you
love about it, tell us what it's really good at, tell us what could be
better.

I will bring a laptop with CentOS 6, Fedora 19, Debian Wheezy, and Ubuntu
12.something LTS loaded up in Virtual Box for others to explore / present
with. I would like to present on Fedora 19.  If you'd like to present,
please bring a system running the distribution you wish to show off.
 Please RSVP at the meetup site and list in the comments what you're
bringing so we can try to keep this somewhat organized and get a good mix
of distributions.  I'd like to limit this to about 6 presentations (30
minutes) so we have some additional time to discuss, Q&A, test drive, etc.

NOTE:  This isn't limited to strictly server distros - both desktop and
server are welcome / encouraged.

We'll try the downtown Tinkermill location for this month.
519 4th St, Longmont, CO

Meetup link:
http://www.meetup.com/LongmontHackerSpace/events/194939622/

Hope to see you all there!

Matt James
303-949-7659

PS - I'm piggy backing on the BLUG / CLUE / SFS mailing lists until we can
get one of our own setup.  If this presents an issue for someone - please
let me know and I'll be happy to stop.