[lug] E-Mail List Hosting Advice

Robert Racansky robert.racansky at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 19:12:32 MDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 4:43 PM, Robert Racansky
<robert.racansky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a low-cost hosting service for an e-mail list or
> list-serve?
>

> I'm involved with an activist group whose members send e-mail to
> everyone by putting the recipients in the "cc" field.  If you're
> reading this, I don't need to explain to you why that is lame.
>

> Somebody suggested using Yahoo Groups, which is free, but requires
> users to sign up for a Yahoo account, and there's some resistance to
> that.    So I'm looking for some other service  that would allow
> members to subscribe and unsubscribe themselves.
>

> What does BLUG use?

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice.

I went with  freelists.org  , simply because

1)  it's free, and

2)  it does exactly what I need it to do; since this is just for an
e-mail list that users can subscribe and un-subscribe themselves from.

I don't require hosting for a web site, nor a custom-domain-name.tld
address, so freelists.org  works perfectly for what I want.

In case you're wondering what this list is for, it's to gripe about
homeowners associations, and discuss possible policy solutions.  I'm
sure that comes as no surprise to anyone who knows me.

If you want to join and complain about your H.O.A. corporation, users
can subscribe at

http://www.freelists.org/list/hoa

or send an e-mail to

hoa-request at freelists.org

with the word "subscribe" in the SUBJECT line.

Reply to the first message to confirm subscription.  Once confirmed,
users can post to the list simply by sending an e-mail to

hoa at freelists.org

Sadly, I suspect that most of the H.O.A. reform activists I've talked
to will either 1 ) continue to blast e-mails to each other using "cc",
or 2 ) go with a F*c*book page.  * sigh *