[lug] apt-get: How To Use on Loopback Mounted Ubuntu Hosted on Fedora?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Mon Aug 11 14:04:56 MDT 2014

Hi,

My development machine is fedora, x86_64. I have a loopback mounted ext4 filesystem for an embedded ARMv7 ubuntu system. I have set up a working cross compile for not just the kernel, but any code or package, without special setup.

The trouble is that I can't update the loopback ubuntu system, nor add packages which were added on the actual embedded system. Since I don't know ubuntu very well, and especially am new at apt and apt-get, I'm looking for ideas to get my x86_64 fedora system to run apt-get on my non-x86 system in a "semi-chroot" way. I need a cross-apt similar to my cross-compile gcc. Anyone here have any ideas about how or if this can be accomplished to have my x86_64 update and modify my ARMv7 filesystem?

Thanks