[lug] RAID Controller Recommendations

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Thu Sep 18 16:48:59 MDT 2014

In my experience (2 dozen of those things) they are garbage.  I have
seen so many RAID controllers fail it's not funny and 95% of them were
3Wares.

The LSI cards are far better.  They are also more expensive though
especially when you get to the point where you want battery backed cache.

For personal use, I'd just use the Linux software RAID.  It's very good
and on a modern CPU there is virtually no overhead.

Dan