[lug] RAID Controller Recommendations

Matt James matuse at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 10:15:58 MDT 2014

I've been using the Adaptec 2405 for a while and have been reasonably happy
with it.  It only supports 0, 1, and 10 but it's a *real* RAID controller -
and they go for about $250.  They are now EOL and I've moved to the 71605E
which is slightly more capible, faster, etc. and runs about $350.

FWIW - I've had extremely bad luck with CentOS /. RHEL and the on-board
Intel *fake* RAID.  In one particular case, software said RAID was A-OK,
but when I removed a drive from a mirror set (testing on the bench stuff)
the machine failed to boot.  Upon further investigation - the *mirrored*
drive was completely blank.  YMMV

My $0.02

Matt

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 4:17 PM, George Sexton <georges at mhsoftware.com>
wrote:

>  I'm looking for some recommendations for RAID controllers. I've been
> using 3Ware 9xxx devices, but with SSD's, the write performance is beyond
> terrible. I'm looking for a "real" RAID card, with hot swap. I only need
> support for 4 devices, and ideally I'd like to buy it used on EBay, cheap.
>

> --
> George Sexton
> *MH Software, Inc.*
> Voice: 303 438 9585
> http://www.mhsoftware.com

Go Green!  Please do not print this e-mail unless it is completely
necessary.