[lug] Linux Laptop

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Thu Oct 16 11:26:38 MDT 2014

On 10/16/2014 11:02 AM, Stephen Queen wrote:
> I'm looking for a cheap laptop that would be used as a terminal
> (minicom/screen) an ssh client, and vncviewer. It would be nice if it
> had wireless that was compatible with linux. The serial port for the
> terminal could easily be a USB dongle.

No specific suggestions, but I was in Best Buy recently and they had a
whole shelf of cheap 15" laptops around $300. I'm sure at least one of
those models is Linux compatible. A lot of them are using AMD chips with
integrated graphics which seem to have decent open source Linux support
these days. I have no idea about the WiFi.

I'd go take a look and write down some model numbers. Or look online.
Actually, if looking online check out Tiger Direct and Newegg too. Maybe
Overstock.com although their refurb stuff is a little iffy.

Then check the model's spec details for Linux support.