[lug] Linux Laptop

Simos blug at chinesetearoom.com
Thu Oct 16 15:24:36 MDT 2014

> On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 14:18 -0400, Stephen Kraus wrote:
> > http://blog.cnicodeme.com/install-fedora-20-on-a-hp-butterfly-chromebook
>
> Ah.  The hardware mod (minor though it appears to be).  Maybe I'll try
> this now that I've had that machine sitting idle for so long.  Though
> mine isn't an HP Pavillion.  I have the Acer C7:
> http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/developer-information-for-chrome-os-devices/acer-c7-chromebook
>
> But this does look like the solution I was looking for.  Interesting,
> since I was stuck working with coreboot/SeaBIOS recently for a project
> here at work.
>
> I wonder if I can run the firmware upgrade script from ChrUbuntu.  I
> don't remember how to get back to ChromeOS.  In fact, I don't remember
> ever using ChromeOS.
>
> Well, if it bricks it's no less useful than it is right now.
> --
> Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>

From what I recall, the older Acer Chromebooks do not have a "proper" BIOS so
you need to use the ChromeOS Linux kernel to boot. I have an Acer C710 with
Kubuntu installed through the ChrUbuntu script and I have to do this.

The newer Chromebooks like the Acer C720 have a real BIOS and don't need
to do that anymore:

http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/2013/10/chrubuntu-for-new-chromebooks-now-with.html

Regards,

Simos