[lug] Ubuntu 14.04 LTS syslog/rsyslog Stopped Logging kern.log

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Mon Oct 27 17:27:11 MDT 2014

Sadly my email program is limited in reply formats, or I'd "interlace" my comments.

Here is the /var/log/apt/history file relevant section (no other updates are ever mentioned on any kind of logging facility, so this seems to be the one and only logging related update):
Start-Date: 2014-10-11  22:15:15Commandline: apt-get upgradeUpgrade: apt:armhf (1.0.1ubuntu2.4.1, 1.0.1ubuntu2.5), rsyslog:armhf (7.4.4-1ubuntu2.1, 7.4.4-1ubuntu2.3), libapt-pkg4.12:armhf (1.0.1ubuntu2.4.1, 1.0.1ubuntu2.5), bash:armhf (4.3-7ubuntu1.4, 4.3-7ubuntu1.5), apt-utils:armhf (1.0.1ubuntu2.4.1, 1.0.1ubuntu2.5), libapt-inst1.5:armhf (1.0.1ubuntu2.4.1, 1.0.1ubuntu2.5), linux-libc-dev:armhf (3.13.0-36.63, 3.13.0-37.64)End-Date: 2014-10-11  22:15:42

As you can see it uses rsyslog and the system is ARMv7 (quad core ARM15) running Ubuntu LTS 14.04 (this is a full distribution, not cut down).

The process does log to other files for other events, but I'm not sure which ones are controlled through rsyslogd. I have rebooted many times with no change. Running ps shows rsyslogd is indeed running. However, there is a pattern, the following in /var/log/ are 0 size:
aptitude
bootstrap.log
btmp
kern.log
syslog

Of those size 0 files, kern.log and syslog are listed in /etc/rsyslogd.d/default.conf as this:
*.*;auth,authpriv.none          -/var/log/syslog
kern.*                          -/var/log/kern.log

In /dev the "log" file does exist:
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Feb  1  2000 log=

I have a very old version of /etc/rsyslogd.conf from last spring, the only diff between this and the active conf is that currently this is added in:
# Enable non-kernel facility klog messages$KLogPermitNonKernelFacility on

The /etc/rsyslogd.d/50-default.conf is unchanged since last spring.
The in-memory kernel buffer must be how dmesg command is getting kernel messages, as dmesg file and all other log files are missing kernel module info messages in any form.

I'm starting to wonder if someone maintaining Ubuntu LTS decided this ARMv7 flavor needed to save disk space, but I'm having troubles finding out where such a configuration change would be. Perhaps rsyslogd itself has been changed or broken. Always getting messages piped and grepped from dmesg is a pain...can anyone think of any other "smoking guns" to determine if rsyslogd is broken versus package update intentionally causing the change in behavior? Is it time to report a bug?