[lug] hardware raid weirdness

Steve A Hart steven.hart at Colorado.EDU
Thu Oct 30 16:08:52 MDT 2014

I could use some advice on a problem I'm seeing.  I had an Infortrend
A12S-G2130 RAID array running smoothly on a Dell server running rhel via
an LSI SAS PCIe card.  The Dell server had problems so I wanted to move
the card and RAID array over to another system also running rhel.  I'd
like the keep the array setup the same (RAID6 with xfs filesystem) and
in this case, the data stored on the raid is irrelevant.   I just want
to get it mounted on the new system.

The first problem is when the system boots and I try to start up the LSI
config BIOS utility.  I see:

LSI Corporation MPT SAS BIOS
MPTBIOS-6.24.00.00 (2008.07.01)
Copyright 2000-2008 LSI Corporation

Initializing .....

Press ctrl-c to start LSI Corp Configuration Utility....

(I hit ctrl-c)

Please wait, invoking SAS Configuration Utility....

LSI Corp Configuration Utility will load the following initialization!

LSI Corporation MPT boot ROM successfully installed!

Then the screen goes black.  It then says "Loading Operating system
...." followed by "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT"

That's it.  The system reboots each time I try to access the config utility.

If I let the system boot normally, the LSI BIOS sees the logical drive
on the RAID and the system boots normally.  Looking at dmesg after boot,
I only see this concerning the LSI card:

Fusion MPT base driver 3.04.20
Copyright (c) 1999-2008 LSI Corporation
Fusion MPT SAS Host driver 3.04.20
mptsas 0000:01:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 18
mptbase: ioc0: Initiating bringup
ioc0: LSISAS1068E B3: Capabilities={Initiator}
mptsas 0000:01:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
scsi6 : ioc0: LSISAS1068E B3, FwRev=011a0000h, Ports=1, MaxQ=478, IRQ=18
mptsas: ioc0: attaching ssp device: fw_channel 0, fw_id 0, phy 4,
sas_addr 0x500d023008093404
scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access     IFT      A12S-G2130       373I PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
scsi 6:0:0:1: Enclosure         IFT      A12S-G2130       373I PQ: 0 ANSI: 4

So on some level the LSI raid is being seen but obviously something is
wrong here.  I can access the Infortrend RAID web interface and
everything looks normal or is in a "good" state.

I just want to get the RAID in a state where I can mount the existing
filesystem.

Any ideas on why the config forces a reboot?  Should I just start from
scratch?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Steve