[lug] Ubuntu 14.04 LTS syslog/rsyslog Stopped Logging kern.log

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sat Nov 8 14:42:39 MST 2014

Just thought I'd post what seems to have occurred with the kern.log on ARMv7 Ubuntu. I think it was just coincidence that rsyslog updated when the logging stopped, that rsyslog was not responsible for log failure.

Looking at many config files from past backups, rsyslog did not change configurations. Historically, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS just started using rsyslog, previously using syslog. It seems that individual applications need to be updated to use rsyslog instead of syslog. To aid in this rsyslog can be configured to log applications which are still trying to use older syslog...those lines in the config have never changed and have always been commented out. However, uncommenting the syslog compatibility config resulted in all of the missing logging starting again. My conclusion is that some software in the ARMv7 branch of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS reverted to logging to syslog instead of rsyslog.