[lug] Bonding (ifenslave) eth0 and wlan0 in 'laptop mode'

David Frye dafr at dafr.us
Tue Nov 11 20:58:31 MST 2014

On 11/11/2014 07:08 AM, Stephen Queen wrote:
> I'm trying to bond to interfaces using ifenslave on a debian laptop into
> a single bond0 interface. I see from this wiki entry that it should be
> possible.
> https://wiki.debian.org/Bonding
> See example 2.
>
> The following is from /etc/network/interfaces
> auto eth0
>          iface eth0 inet manual
>          bond-master bond0
>          bond-primary eth0
>          bond-mode active-backup
>
> auto wlan0
>          iface wlan0 inet manual
>          wireless-essid Newtem
>          wireless-mode Managed
>          wireless-channel 6
>          bond-master bond0
>          bond-primary eth0
>          bond-mode active-backup
>          bond_updelay 200
>          bond_downdelay 200

< clip >

Based on what I see, you are trying to configure a wireless device with
traditional tools when you need to be using a wifi aware utility.

The example you pointed to uses some variant of wpa (possibly
wpasupplicant) to manage the interface, and I suspect that is
contributing to the issues you are experiencing.

The other thing that you might need to add to the mix is package
net-tools which includes mii-tool. Having only your information
presented and the link, this is all i can think of off the top of my head.

david