[lug] NAS - OpenNAS, FreeNAS, NAS4Free, or COTS?

Dan Ferris dan at usrsbin.com
Fri Dec 5 21:31:04 MST 2014

I can't speak to the others, but I can tell you about FreeNAS because I
use it at home and I have extensive FreeBSD experience.

FreeNAS is basically an extremely nice GUI written around FreeBSD and
ZFS.  FreeNAS is completely about ZFS and there is no point in using the
legacy UFS volumes.  In fact, I think the next major version is going to
completely drop the old UFS volumes and go ZFS only.

So with that said:

- FreeNAS requires at least 8 GB of memory to work.  16 GB is better.
32 GB is best.  If you want to use the deduplication features, you will
need even more.  You HAVE to use ECC memory with ZFS.  If you do not use
ECC memory, you risk data corruption.  The FreeNAS forum is full of sob
stories of people who didn't believe they needed ECC memory and were
proven wrong.

- ZFS HATES hardware RAID.  You absolutely do not want to use ZFS with
hardware RAID controllers if you can avoid them.  The controllers hide
things from ZFS that it likes and the hardware write back cache will
also screw with it.  Plain old SATA drives connected to the motherboard
are best.  If you can't avoid hardware RAID, then disable the write back
cache and use JBOD.  On some LSI controllers, I just make each disk its
own RAID 0 and disable the write back cache.

- To really get good performance out of ZFS, you will probably want SSDs
to use as cache.  You will want both a cached ZIL and a cached L2ARC.  I
use 240GB Intel SSDs and they are serious overkill.  You could probably
get away with 128 GB or less.

- FreeNAS is fast.  I get around 1 GB / second sequential write speeds
with 4 plain SATA drives.  I can saturate a gigabit ethernet link with NFS.

- FreeNAS is not the cheapest option.  To get the best performance a
minimal configuration will probably run you around $1300.  However,
FreeNAS will blow any other open source NAS out of the water.  It also
blows away all of the other commercial consumer / prosumer grade NAS
boxes that I've used.

- The ZFS RAID is much better than normal RAID.  ZFS eliminates all of
the problems with RAID 5 except for multiple simultaneous drive failures.

My recommended configuration for FreeNAS is:

- Intel C2550 quad core Atom motherboard.  The Asrock C2550-D4I is the
board I have.
- 16 GB of ECC memory.
- At least 4 drives.  I have 7200 RPM NAS rated Hitachi SATA drives.
- 2 SSDs, one for ZIL and one for L2ARC.  I'd use a good MLC drive like
the Samsung 840 Pro.  You don't have to have the SSDs, but they make a
big difference if you have a heavier load.
- A case with hot swap drive bays.

Dan