[lug] Jeffrey, please add me to your LinkedIn network

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 16:02:51 MST 2014

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Brennen Bearnes <bbearnes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Downsides:
>
> - Overall build quality is mediocre-to-bad.
> - Screen's flimsy, ethernet jack is terrible.
> - The trackpad is garbage.  Basically unusable, especially if you want to
> use right/middle click for, well, anything ever.
> - Battery life is just unbelievably bad.

Your complaints are pretty typical of what I've heard from the Clevo /
Sager notebooks in the "thin and light" range. That's who System76 sources
their hardware from most of the time it seems. Here's the Galago:
https://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP2740
. I own an older Sager np8150 but it is neither thin nor light, and it
works quite well and doesn't have the physical shortcomings you cite. In
their current lineup, this is probably the closest to what I own:
https://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_info&model_name=NP8268
.

For what it's worth the trackpad on mine works well in both Linux and
Windows out of the box, and the battery life (even suspended) is good in
Windows, but not in Linux. Likely there is a software solution to that to
be found if I cared enough to take the time to find it. Since I'm running
an SSD and booting is only seconds slower than resuming, I just shutdown
when I'm done.

QH