[lug] NAS - OpenNAS, FreeNAS, NAS4Free, or COTS?

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Tue Dec 16 16:17:05 MST 2014

On Fri, 5 Dec 2014 20:26:06 -0700
Jed S. Baer wrote:

> Or, just get a COTS machine. Lots of choices here, so any particular
> thoughts? Thecus, Synology, Qnap, other? Initially, looking around, and
> reading reviews, I think I want to avoid Buffalo.

We ended up with a Synology 4-bay machine. Thanks, everyone, for the
input.

Went with the Synology Hybrid Raid.
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_Synology_Hybrid_RAID%3F

At some point, I'll want to ssh into it, and look at how they actually
set that up. I figure I'll be able to document it with some combination
of command line incantations -- interrogate LVM, MDA, etc and see what
comes up.