[lug] ls -l output...fedora versus ubuntu

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Fri Feb 13 12:38:00 MST 2015

Hi,

I just noticed a single character which is different between a fedora 19 machine and an ubuntu 14.04 LTS, at the end of the permissions portion of ls. So here's an example from fedora:
/bin/ls -lnd --time-style=long-iso --color=never /tmpdrwxrwxrwt. 15 0 0 560 2015-02-13 12:22 /tmp
Here's the same thing from ubuntu:
/bin/ls -lnd --time-style=long-iso --color=never /tmpdrwxrwxrwt 5 0 0 4096 2000-01-01 00:01 /tmp
In the case of ubuntu I see what is expected for permissiosn:
drwxrwxrwt

In the case of fedora, I see an extra character, a "radix" or "period", at the end of permissions...it's one extra character:
drwxrwxrwt.

Does anyone know if this period has any meaning? I'm working with a script that needs to work the same on all of the modern linux flavors, and am not sure of the nature of this difference.