[lug] [Workshop] Building Your Own Linux Kernel

Paul Walmsley paul at booyaka.com
Fri Mar 6 11:19:54 MST 2015

Hey folks,

I'll be running a workshop next Thursday evening at Solid State Depot on
how to build a Linux kernel from the mainline kernel.  Unfortunately it
looks like this conflicts with the BLUG meeting, but some folks might be
interested, anyway. Details below -

- Paul

http://www.meetup.com/SolidStateDepot/events/220965243/

Building Your Own Linux Kernel

Thursday, March 12, 2015

7:00 PM
Solid State Depot

1965 33rd Street, UNIT B, Boulder, CO (edit map)

You like Linux.

Perhaps you're running it on one of your personal machines, or on a
server in the cloud. And you're just a little curious, if you admit it to
yourself, what the Linux kernel is and how to build your own.

Or maybe you've got an embedded board, like a BeagleBone or a
Raspberry Pi, and you'd like to run the latest and greatest kernel,
with all the latest and greatest features, fresh from Mr. Linus
Torvalds himself.

Or maybe you're a C programmer who would like to experiment with Linux
kernel software development, but just need a little help getting
started.

Well, this workshop is for you. We'll cover:

- How to download a copy of the kernel source code via git
- How to use the Kbuild system to configure your kernel
- How to compile the kernel and kernel modules
- How to install (and hopefully, boot!) your compiled kernel

We'll start with an x86 kernel. If we have time, we'll talk about how
to install an ARM toolchain and build an ARM kernel.

Prerequisites:

* Some basic Linux/Unix expertise. At least some experience with using
a shell command line is helpful!

* If you'd like to follow along on your own machine, one of the Linux
distributions (e.g., Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat Fedora) should already be
installed. It should preferably be in a "throwaway" virtual machine, with
Parallels, Virtualbox, or KVM, so you don't risk anything important.

Instructor: Paul Walmsley

Workshop cost: FREE for Solid State Depot members, or $5-$20 (sliding
scale) for non-members.