[lug] deb/ubuntu repos

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Thu Mar 12 15:25:42 MDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 14:28 -0600, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> I put my debs in a directory and run:
>
> dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip > Packages.gz
>
> to make the packages file.
>
> Then in apt/sources.list I have:
>
> deb file:/path/to/dir ./
>
> and apt can find the files for me.

I had done that but apt-get wasn't seeing my test .deb.  I abandoned it
after awhile, went away and did other stuff and had to come back to it
today.

Today, I found the problem was with that .deb.  The control file's
version was 1.0 but the version in the filename was a date stamp.
dpkg-scanpackages doesn't care but apt-get does.

Fix the filename to match the control file's version field and
everything is hunky dory.

> Does that help?

It does.  Let's me know someone else was successfully using a process
I'd tried, which meant it wasn't the process.  It was something else.

> I have no idea if it's at all extensible to signatures.  And obviously I'm not
> fooling with releases and the usual sophistication of a repository.

I'll have to deal with that later.  Evolution of the release process is
never ending.

Thanks!
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>