[lug] Fedora 19, Grub2 Misbehaving

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Tue Mar 17 18:47:02 MDT 2015

I know F19 is old, but it still has updates available, and my system is updated daily. As of today I don't recall seeing any updates, but grub2 just started misbehaving, and I'm trying to find out why. In particular, if this has happened to anyone else.

I never have rhgb or quiet, ever. This is one of the first things I rip out when I install a new Fedora machine...this machine has not had that entry since F19 was "new". Unfortunately, I rebooted once this evening, and something has forced this back in without my permission. I checked /etc/default/grub, and sure enough it had "rhgb quiet" in it...I didn't put it there. I removed this in the config, but of course it somehow has forced it into the running config. At the grub prompt during reboot I hit "e" to edit, and looked for "rhgb quiet"...it isn't there. If it isn't there, how is it still using this? How do I get rid of it without messing up all kinds of ancient boot entries which are still needed? Has this happened to anyone else today? [FYI, I'm a bit scared of just poking around and destroying something in the boot loader]

Thanks!