[lug] Building from Source on Debian

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Apr 1 21:57:32 MDT 2015

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 21:42:30 -0600
Joseph Mills wrote:

> Hey there Jed,
>
> I can not tell you what is right and what is wrong to do with debian but
> this is what I do,
> I use build-deps
>
> apt-get build-deps <packagename>
>
> or look at the d/control file
>

> So is it worth the time to do any of this ?
>
> for me it depends on what it is for.

Hi Joseph. Thanks for the links - I will take a look I hope this weekend.
In my case, it's just for functionality not compiled into the supplied
binaries.

I just happened to run across the build-deps, which I wasn't previously
aware of -- very nice. Problem right now, as I've been looking at getting
stuff prepared, is that Mint/Debian doesn't maintain -src repositories.
So, I will have to add, I think, Debian Testing, as that's what
Mint/Debian is based on, but I suspect there are newer versions there.
Well, maybe stable. Not sure how that will play with the rest of my
system, but if I keep things in /usr/local, that will avoid conflicts, I
think. Or, I could build static - disk space is cheap and plentiful.

Nice guide, at least for my 1st task:
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/CompilingAudacityForBeginners

Would rather I had time to fiddle with switching to something else, but
that's another topic for another time.

jed