[lug] OT: Credit Cards w/ Chips

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri May 15 15:16:37 MDT 2015

I don't know if debit cards, per se, ever got legal protection but the
branded Visa debit cards do have the same fraud protection policies as
respective credit cards. It's contractual, not statutory, but it is still
protection.

The big difference is the old "possession is 9/10th of the law" saying. If
someone steals my CC info and maxes out my credit card I'm not able to use
the card for awhile (and this could be a pain with automatic payments) but
life goes on. I have the money in question.

If someone steals my debit card info then I might be unable to pay my
mortgage and utility bills for months. The bank has the money in question.
Getting reimbursed in two months won't help if I need it to pay the rent
this month.