[lug] OT: Credit Cards w/ Chips

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Fri May 15 23:14:22 MDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 14:54 -0600, William D. Knoche wrote:

> Walmart in Lafayette, Target in Superior, and Home Depot in Louisville

Thanks, Bill.  I'll stop by Target in Superior and buy something just to
try out my card.  For all I know, the chip in my individual card is
faulty and that's why its not working at all the other places I've
tried.

The whole credit card processing is one example of how the world would
be better if IT people were more in charge.  As many of these replies
have suggested, we just wouldn't put up with such insecure solutions for
so long.

Along the lines of how I firewall servers, I'm also using a dedicated
account for my debit card.  If you get my card, you'll get about $500 at
any given time, but the real money is in other accounts.

Cheers,

> On 05/15/2015 12:36 PM, Maxwell Spangler wrote:
> > I received an Amazon/Chase VISA card recently with a chip on it.
> >
> > While I know this is not guarantee of my credit card's security, it's
> > a step in the right direction.
> >
> > However, I have yet to find an place where I can use it.
> >
> > Terminals with chip reader hardware exist at Target, King Soopers and
> > many other places where I shop, but when I stick my card in, I get no
> > response and have to swipe.
> >
> > Does anyone know anything about this?
> >
> > Posting here because this list has security aware people who may be
> > able to share some backstory about the enabling of chip cards in 2015.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > --
> > Maxwell Spangler

Maxwell Spangler