[lug] OT: Credit Cards w/ Chips

Brennen Bearnes bbearnes at gmail.com
Sat May 16 09:20:42 MDT 2015

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 11:14 PM, Maxwell Spangler <
maxlists at maxwellspangler.com> wrote:

> The whole credit card processing is one example of how the world would be
> better if IT people were more in charge.  As many of these replies have
> suggested, we just wouldn't put up with such insecure solutions for so
> long.

Heh.

As far as I can tell, banking and finance deserve their reputation for poor
technical choices and bad design, but after watching the habits of enough
IT people for a few years, I can no longer take assertions like this one
seriously.

Our industry, broadly construed, creates and maintains so many insecure
practices and solutions that it's a borderline miracle anything functions
at all. Have a serious look at actually existing practices around
e-commerce and payment, encryption of user communications, data retention,
cloud services, state surveillance, the Internet of Things hype...  We
should, as a culture and a set of communities, mostly be more ashamed than
convinced of our superiority.