[lug] OT: Credit Cards w/ Chips

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Mon May 18 13:59:54 MDT 2015

Yep. Western Europe, too.

Even England, which was the best off, didn't privatize until the mid 80's.
I no longer remember the details, but there were elaborate schemes before
that in which private companies made money by trunking calls from one place
in England to another through New York, because anything routed through the
US was cheaper.

The employees were government employees, too, so Lily Tomlin made fun of Ma
Bell operators but even our regulated monopoly was a delight by comparison
to a government bureaucracy. My mother said that the first time she got
connected to a wrong number in Germany, she called the operator and
explained what had happened. The operator said, "I did *not* give you a
wrong number," yanked our plug, and wouldn't permit us any phone calls for
the rest of the day. :-)

When we were living in Spain, the common phone conversation initiator was a
loud, "Oiga? Oiga? Digame?" ("Hear me? Hear me? Say something?") I'm sure
things have improved all over Europe, but a lot of that is because the
governments don't own the cell providers.

Most folks here have had decent phone service their whole lives and only
know it wasn't always that way intellectually. My grandparents' phone
number was "1." They had the first phone in Haynesville, LA. Here, when I
moved out near Erie, in the mid-70's, we had to use an operator to make
local calls.