[lug] SD card reader and fast cards

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jul 7 10:15:36 MDT 2015

> Hi. I have a few very small form factor computers that use a SD card > for the system drive. I'd like to buy faster cards for these computers, > but I would first like to determine if the card reader in these machines
> will support the cards I want to buy. I have one of these currently > running Ubuntu. Is there a command I can run or a system spec I can > look for?
>
> Gary
 I don't know of a test for the embedded system, but I can tell you that not all brands of the same spec work equally well. My experience with using an SD card for the root file system implies that simply using the card for ordinary data is less demanding than using the card for the root file system. Some brands consistently failed to boot as rootfs, yet they were perfectly functional otherwise.

I had good luck with Samsung and SanDisk for rootfs, but bad luck with Adata. Others I've talked to also had bad luck for rootfs using Adata. The specs for what I work with say class 10 or better, but even following this the Adata fails while the others succeed...the only error is if I use the Adata as a rootfs.