[lug] Atom text editor

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 16:25:06 MDT 2015

Folks,

>From time-to-time, I think it's fun to try new editors. This week, I'm
intrigued by Atom.

I can use it as sort of a dumbed-down version of gedit (which it's not),
opening up a file, typing in text verbatim, saving, exiting, then doing
everything else on the command line, but I want to know how a hard-core,
Atom user would put it through its paces.

For example, if I want to create the following program and then commit it
to GitHub, run it, modify it, etc.,

#!/bin/bash -eux

echo hello, world

how would I proceed if I were a real, Atom power user? Could I do
everything from a single Atom session, using it as my IDE?

Same question for a compiled program, like this:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void) {
  printf("hello, world\n");
  return 0;
}

Anyone out there use Atom as your primary programming editor?

--
Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], http://seejeffrun.blogspot.com [blog],