[lug] website hosting recommendation

Phil Weinstein philw at indra.com
Wed Sep 2 11:36:50 MDT 2015

I did just give *Gandi.net* a try for hosting a little thing. Not having
that domain registered with them made their "Simple Hosting" anything
but. I didn't at first understand why it was so darn complicated:  They
had me using my domain registrar's DNS servers, instead of providing
their own.  That's a bad place to cut it -- virtually no high level
online tools are available to manage the things I would want to manage.
I even had to dink with my registrar's DNS zone records just to prove to
Gandi.net that the I actually owned the domain I was arranging hosting
for.  (Why do they care if they're not even doing the DNS?).  Another
problem was that I needed to NOT choose the "python" package if I wanted
to publish directly with SFTP.  (That package requires publishing via
git).  On the positive side, Gandi.net's technical support for new
customers was very responsive.