[lug] Syslog?

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 13:03:16 MDT 2015

I don't ask this out of defensiveness, I feel I must simply be unaware
of what the limitations of syslog are.  So I ask: what *is* wrong with
syslog?

I've just run across yet another logging framework that appears to
reinvent syslog.  A few months ago, I was reading through the
documentation on rsyslog, and was quite impressed with its features.
I'd like to imagine that people motivated to replace syslog are
already aware of these features, and were trying to address some more
fundamental limitation that I don't yet know about.  Can someone
enlighten me, or link to appropriate reading material?  I'm not trying
to start any arguments, honestly!

Thanks!

--
Chris Riddoch