[lug] Syslog?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Tue Sep 22 13:55:23 MDT 2015

On 09/22/2015 01:03 PM, Chris Riddoch wrote:
> I don't ask this out of defensiveness, I feel I must simply be unaware
> of what the limitations of syslog are.  So I ask: what *is* wrong with
> syslog?
>
> I've just run across yet another logging framework that appears to
> reinvent syslog.

Is this a logging framework for individual servers, or for the cloud?

For container / cloud systems like Docker / Kubernetes running 50
instances on Amazon, having a cloud system that can handle a lot of
traffic and has a lot of storage is important. And since you'll have
gigabytes of logs having an indexing system is important. And to index
and search well you need to know what individual data fields mean, so
the logging framework grows client side code as well so that your
software's log entries can be tagged with meta-data.

For a single server I don't see much wrong with syslog really.

I do like journalctl from systemd. It has grown on me. Like:
    journalctl -u exim --since today

Super handy with filter expressions and such. Make aliases for your
favorites.