[lug] Outdoor rated Cat5e STRANDED

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 28 17:37:40 MDT 2015

FWIW, I've had to put solid wire in places where stranded wire would have been preferred; the key is to spread the flex over several feet instead of just a few inches.  Either method below should last for several thousand flex cycles, so long as the connector ends are prevented from pulling, flexing or twisting (i.e., good strain relief).

1.  Install the device with a large coil (or two) of wire, like a big Slinky.

2.  Run the wire across to the equipment rack's door hinge, then do a two- or three-foot long vertical run up the side of the hinge, put a gentle U-bend at top, and come back down the other side of the hinge.

Here's a good white paper that gives an overview of Ethernet cable specs, then dives into the solid-vs-stranded discussion, and specifically discusses patch cables:
- - - https://www.andcable.com/files/UnderstandingStrandedandSolidWiring.pdf

You might get some better ideas (and proper industry standards) with this search:
- - - http://www.bing.com/search?q=equipment%20rack%20wiring%20standards

John