[lug] GitHub+Yubico, FIDO U2F token discount

Richard Johnson rdump at river.com
Sun Oct 4 12:17:31 MDT 2015

If you participate in open source projects that use GitHub, or you're even a
bit of a crypto geek, this is a cool opportunity for an inexpensive but quite
durable [1] hardware 2nd factor.

   https://www.yubico.com/github-special-offer/

http://www.wired.com/2015/10/github-moves-past-password-make-open-source-secure/

GitHub has announced they're supporting FIDO U2F as a 2nd factor on logins to
their web service. It's working now via recent versions of Chromium/Chrome
only, but Mozilla has an open feature issue for adding support.

Even better, they have a serious discount ($5+$5 shipping) on Yubico's
otherwise $18 FIDO U2F-only USB tokens (complete with OctoCat logo so you can
tell them apart ;) ). They'll be usable on GitHub and increasingly widely beyond.

While I'm still wanting a fully open source s/w + h/w implementation of FIDO
U2F on a secure base (Nitrokey, eventually?), this will do for now. $5 is in
"might as well get some to experiment with" range for me.

Rich

-------
[1] I once found a lost basic Yubikey after it had spent 3 weeks freezing
every night in a puddle of muddy snowmelt. It still works fine. These Yubico
FIDO U2F models have the same construction.