[lug] GitHub+Yubico, FIDO U2F token discount

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:03:52 MDT 2015

Hey Rich,

The special github yubikeys are totally sold out, but there is 20% off
any regular yubikey. I'm familiar with the yubikey OTP, but I'm not
with this FIDO U2F. At first is sounded to me like it is just a really
long, second password that you don't have to type (like the OTP is the
first, equally long password, that you don't have to type and second,
it changes every time). But then it says something like "it performs
cryptographic functions triggered by a simple touch of the key [...]
required for login", which sounded OTP-like but based on an input
instead of an implicit sequence count. I could not find any decent
documentation about this, do you have any recommended readings? For
example, how is this input sent to the yubikey? What is it really
about? How can be that "you have an unlimited number of U2F
credentials on these YubiKeys that support the U2F protocol" as the
FAQ says?

Thanks,
Davide