[lug] CM for a small sysadmin.

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 13:48:54 MDT 2015

Eh, I don't agree that CMs are inherently idempotent. They try to be, but
it's trivial to break that. That's arguably an indication that you're doing
something wrong, but I think having that be a goal if you don't actually
need it makes things needlessly complex.

And really, unless you are running your CM as a daemon where it's
constantly re-applying your config, does it matter if it's idempotent or
not? I say no. If you're using the CM as a deploy tool and not "CI for
infrastructure", I don't think that matters really. Idempotency is not
inherently a virtue.