[lug] expect script

Glenn English ghe at slsware.net
Fri Nov 6 11:15:06 MST 2015

On Nov 6, 2015, at 9:52 AM, Stephen Queen <svqueen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Earlier this week, I found myself writing an expect script, for the first time in several years. I've only had to use expect one other time, so have never become very proficient at it.
>
> I downloaded the .pdf book from O'reilly called Exploring Expect. I've read just a short part of chapter 1. I can see where it maybe useful to learn this language. On the other hand, I've only needed it once before. Once I've learned it, I may find a lot of uses. My question is, does anyone actually find this useful anymore? In other words, will I be wasting time going through this entire book?

I don't write it too often, but I use it 'most every day. Scripts I wrote a long time ago to get into my router and firewall are still very useful.

It's not much for Towers of Hanoi, but it's great for repeated interactions that want CLI communication with humans.

I claim it can be very useful. Keep that book around so you don't need to remember the language -- you probably won't need to write code very often.

--
Glenn English