[lug] Building Linux Routers versus Existing Routers

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 09:08:47 MST 2015

Sometimes there is hardware accel for VPN (via encryption accel, usually
AES) but more often than not it's simply a software change to allow to
differentiate products. A great example of this sort of thing was a few
years ago there were some entry-level Canon DSLRs that could be hacked to
enable features that were supposed to only be available on models costing
twice as much. Aside from some slightly downgraded optics, it made the
cheaper cameras almost indistinguishable from the more expensive ones.
Market segmentation by software. It happens in just about every section of
the electronics industry.

QH