[lug] Kill X11 Hot Keys?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Dec 15 10:35:53 MST 2015

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 17:09:28 +0000 (UTC)
stimits at comcast.net wrote:

> I just tried the trick of .Xdefaults and symbolic link
> to .xinitrc...Fedora ignored it. I suppose it isn't too important,
> but I find myself missing the days of the old init.

Well, this has nothing at all to do with init. ;)

So, in the distant past control-alt-backspace was hard coded into X as
the "kill server right now" key sequence.

In the Fedora 11 timeframe, it was defaulted to being disabled (because
people accidentially would hit it when trying to do similar key
sequences):
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_11_Alpha_release_notes#X_Server

Then (I can't seem to find a exact cite here) not long later, it was
made a normal configuable keybinding. This meant that you could
enable/disable it with your desktops normal keyboard prefs and could
even map it to some other sequence. At this time the Xorg config went
away because it was just another keybinding, nothing special.

(Aside: DontZap is a excellent example of a horrible option name. If I
want "Zap" I should say "False" here so the double negative is true?)

So, you should set this in your desktops keyboard prefs usually. I know
you can in Gnome and KDE.

If you can't set it there, then the 'setxkbmap -option
terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp' should work. Of course you need to run that
when you are in your active X session. Does it work if you manually run
that after you login? What display manager are you using?

kevin