[lug] MIDI Keyboard for Linux

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Dec 27 10:18:35 MST 2015

I'm definitely looking at a MIDI keyboard. Plenty of those available,
even under $100. At the moment, I can plug things together using
patchage, and I don't know that, for my purposes, I need to switch to
using Jack. I recall quite a lot of hollering when Pulseaudio first came
out, and articles about how to get rid of it, and get Jack working.

Amsynth plays through the sound card, and I can use pavucontrol to turn
on capture on the Alsa interface, if I want to record. It all seems to
play well together, though I'm not wild about the UI for Amsynth or
patchage. But they're functional, which is good enough for my current
purposes. I'll probably try some other softsynths at some point.

While I recognize the tradeoffs, I think a 2 octave keyboard is good for
now. I really need to be in the mode of getting rid of things, vs.
acquiring more stuff, so smaller is better.

I've been able to capture the output of vmpk using nted, but trying to
edit from there was not a happening thing. Perhaps I will need to read
the instructions.

I'm currently on kernel 3.11 (long story, different topic), but
everything seems to be working OK.