[lug] pxe boot and routing

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Jan 13 11:13:48 MST 2016

On Wed, 2016-01-13 at 10:06 -0700, Quentin Hartman wrote:
> Hard to say w/o more details from your DNS (bind?) config. On the
> private network can you hit port 53 on server? That would at least
> tell you that the DNS server is listening where you expect it to,
> just not responding. Also, what distro? You might have an out-of-the
> -box firewall that is busting your chops.

The server is running CentOS.  I've disabled the firewall on it.  The
host that PXE booted can ping the TFTP server but cannot telnet to port
53.  Seems like a firewall thing even though I seem to have disabled
it.  Here is what I did to disable it:

$ systemctl disable firewalld
$ systemctl stop firewalld
$ sudo systemctl status firewalld
firewalld.service - firewalld - dynamic firewall daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/firewalld.service; disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Telnet should work at this point.  Here is netstat showing listening on
the private network:

$ sudo netstat -tulpn | grep :53
tcp  0  0 192.168.25.1:53  0.0.0.0:*  LISTEN  21270/named

I don't see anything under journalctl on the server when the request is
made from the PXE host.  Not sure if I should, however.

--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>