[lug] Free Linux Authoring Tools?

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 09:14:08 MDT 2016

TeX (and LaTeX) can certainly make everything you want, including automatic
generation of ToC, automatic numbering and referencing of tables, figures
and more. If you are already familiar with it (I am), it's easy, and the
few things you may not know are easy to learn and add.

If you don't know anything about TeX and you have a "don't want to manually
write tags" attitude, I recommend against it, because you will be
frustrated: there's a learning curve and I've found tools like Lyx more
confusing than helping, you will end up writing TeX anyway.

If you like the defaults, sphinx can be a better choice: less "tags" to
learn and more "works out of the box" features. However, I've found that if
you want to personalize things with it in ways that are different than the
default, it may be even harder than LaTeX (but maybe it's just that I never
became familiar enough with it).