[lug] Processor assignment

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Thu Mar 31 04:00:12 MDT 2016

Hi Davide,

Thanks for the help.

Is this a single server or multiple servers?

This is a single server.

If it's a single one, why
> are you using MPI in the first place?

These are particle accelerator codes written by many different people/labs.
At this stage, I've reproduced the scheduling problem without involving the
codes.

It may be that the problem hasn't anything to do with MPI. That's something
I also need to test.

> It's overkill. If it's multiple
> server, why aren't you running a resource manager such as slurm?

Slurm, Torque, etc. are the next phase, and I'll be glad to have a
conversation about that in the future. Right now we are using Celery to
manage the collection of nodes.

After your comment about MPI being overkill, I extended the example to use
fork instead of MPI. With ordinary forked processes, cores are assigned
properly. I need to do more testing with this case to be sure there's a
real distinction between MPI and plain fork.

Thanks,
Rob