[lug] Systemd vs Docker, and runC, containerd, snappy etc

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Fri May 13 07:57:43 MDT 2016

Thanks for the LWN link. It made me laugh.

I've been struggling with many of the same issues. Throw in a CM tool along
with the actual applications, and well, you've got a right fine mess on
your hands.

The biggest problem for me is that the layers of APIs coming from different
organizations/projects/philosophies makes debugging impedance mismatches
extremely complicated. Once you've figured out which debug flags to turn on
and which log files to look into, you might find an appropriate message,
but for the impedance mismatches, it's usually insufficient or misleading.
I've spent a lot of time looking at and instrumenting code to try to figure
out where to apply the necessary shim and/or fix.

If you want to see how we're evo-solving our problems of container builds,
deployment, and CM visit:

https://github.com/radiasoft/containers - combined docker/vagrant builds
https://github.com/radiasoft/download - curl installer automation
https://github.com/biviosoftware/salt-conf - salt configuration based on
pillar.stack

Your feedback on these efforts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob